- They are already deep down the middle, and now they will soon get Mike Fisher out of retirement. That addition means either Calle Jarnkrok or Colton Sissons will be moved to the wing.
- That move brings about the major question that the Predators are trying to solve. Option one is Rick Nash. His contract expires after the season, and he could come at a price. The Rangers may be asking for draft picks and/or a defensive prospect. Michael Grabner is also an option from the Rangers, and he may come cheaper, which may be appetizing for the Preds.
- Evander Kane comes with as many questions as he does answers. Off-ice issues are his biggest problems, but he also comes with 30-goal potential that he has fulfilled a couple of seasons. A big plus is that the Predators have the leadership in place that could keep Kane on the straight and narrow for the season.
- The Detroit Red Wings may look to move Gustav Nyquist or Tomas Tatar. The price may be higher, since the Wings may look to poach a prospect like Dante Fabbro as a means to give up either winger.
- The Montreal Canadiens are considering trading Max Pacioretty. His contract could be an issue, as would the asking price. Given their depth on the blue line, an NHL-ready player could be in play in addition to picks and possibly a prospect.
- Sign Eeli Tolvanen after his KHL season ends. He's already showing his scoring chops in both the KHL and the Olympic stage. He does have an option for a second year in the KHL, but the Preds may look to sign him once he has the ability to become available.
Nashville has many ways to go, and much of it depends on what they feel. Their faith in signing Tolvanen in time for the playoffs may be the biggest factor in everything they do as far as a trade. The cap doesn't figure to be a major issue, and with only Scott Hartnell and Alexei Emelin currently as the only UFAs after the season, their window should be open.