Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wrestle Talk

I haven't talked about pro wrestling in a while, and because I feel that the hockey talk isn't coming as natural to me right now, I figure to sneak this little part in, so if you don't want to read about pro wrestling, do not read this piece.  (waits a minute) Still here?  Okay, here we go.

I'll get to WWE and its nostalgia run in a bit, but first, Total Nonstop Action "Wrestling."  Note that I refuse to use the acronym and that I also put the word wrestling in quotes.  Heck, you could do the same with the latter for WWE, but that's not the big issue there.  In case you haven't figured it out, that is my biggest complaint about the Total Nonstop product.  Too much talk and the people doing the talking: people who stopped being relevant around, oh, about five years ago, perhaps longer.  The long running complaint about that wrestling company is that it doesn't put over young talent.  The real complaint that should be used is that it doesn't put over its homegrown talent, you know, the ones that have been with the company for a long time.  Looking at the company's most recent champions, they have been WWE cast offs.  The same can be said for those with the most air time: those who don't need the spotlight.

The WWE lead in to Wrestlemania has been a nostalgia laden one, as stars from the last decade or so have been filing onto the company's programming.  Though I think it is overkill, I think it's good for WWE to at least, make Wrestlemania mean something again.  Let's face it, the last two Wrestlemanias were quite lackluster and were void of anything large, except for the amount of boredom that it produced.  However, for all of the attempts to make the biggest show of all relevant, they haven't really made the WWE title mean something again.  Even with trying to make its champion relevant, he's still a secondary thought to the casual wrestling fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment