Thursday, August 18, 2011

Timbers Thoughts

Last night was one of those rare moments when I could break out my Portland Timbers shirt and have it actually be relevant.  You see, they were in town last night to take on Sporting KC (I don't get all those who think that name sucks because it actually rolls off the tongue, but I digress).  Some of the personnel was actually in town the day before the game, and I was quite fortunate to procure an autograph from one of them (the goalkeeper coach).  The day of the match, I also happened to see one of the players at a coffee shop.  Given my nature, I didn't approach him, as I figured he was busy with whatever it was he was doing.  As luck had it, he approached me, since he had to notice the Timbers shirt I was wearing, and a few short words later, I wished him and the team luck.  Unfortunately, the Timbers didn't do so well, losing 3-1 and avoiding a clean sheet in the 81' minute.  The other big story out of the game: Bobble Head Gate.  Last night was Omar Bravo (a Sporting KC player) Bobble Head night, so some lucky fans that were there early enough received their own.  To make a long story short, two idiots (no word on who they were rooting for) decided to throw their bobble heads onto the pitch after a Sporting KC goal, one of which hit Sporting KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen.  Neilsen would stay in the game, but the fuckwits who threw the bobble heads were taken out in handcuffs and are now banned from Livestrong Park (the Sporting KC venue).  As someone who has been to the new venue, I can say that hopefully, this incident should not take away from what truly is a great experience where every seat is a good one.  However, idiots like those who threw the bobble heads will not be tolerated, and the surrounding fans let that be known, so I give praise to those who are actually there to enjoy the game.  And how stupid must those two feel, to know that they can never attend another event at Livestrong Park and almost cost Sporting KC (their own team, for fuck's sake) a chance at making their playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment