Friday, January 13, 2012

An Open Letter to the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club

In light of last night's events surrounding the Montreal Canadiens and Mike Cammalleri, today's post has been hijacked by a disgruntled Montreal Canadiens fan (as played by this blog writer).  I know he has a lot to get off his chest, so without further ado, the floor is all his.

Dear Canadiens de Montreal,


I have been a fan of your hockey franchise long enough to remember the last time the team raised the Stanley Cup.  I was still a fan when the team left Patrick Roy to take a 9 goal beating, only to have him say under no uncertain terms that he played his last game for my beloved team.  I remained loyal when the team closed the fabled Montreal Forum for the new Molson Centre (now the Bell Centre) and I stayed true to the Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge when the team suffered through its lean years in the time that followed the Roy trade.  Remember the time Saku Koivu returned to the ice after a battle with Burkitt's Lymphoma?  I was there.  The Bob Gainey GM years?  I stayed true to my allegiances, and even after the inexplicable firing of Canadien favorite Guy Carbonneau as head coach, I was still there.  The horrific Scott Gomez deal?  I had my hopes in the beginning that it would work out.  The 2010 playoffs should have been a sign that the Canadiens were on their way up again, but then came the trade of Jaroslav Halak in favor of a former first round pick that for all intents and purposes, is more content in rodeos than in the constant hustle and bustle of my fair city. Granted, Carey Price has ability, and certainly, he can carry a team for stretches, but even the best need a little help every now and then.  Re-signing a guy that had played three games in two seasons (Andrei Markov) is not a viable answer, and neither is signing a guy that recently had come off of surgery (Josh Gorges).  I even sat through the Jacques Martin error and the subsequent flap over hiring a non-Francais speaking coach in Randy Cunneyworth.


However, last night was the last straw.  Your team, and more specifically, the buffoon that you call a General Manager (no, I will not refer to him by his real name) traded away a player that cares about winning.  Yes, I was in attendance when I booed Mike Cammalleri, but you know what?  He owned up to that, saying in an interview a couple days ago that the Canadiens fans deserve a winner and have a right to boo when that doesn't happen.  What's more, Hal Gill and Josh Gorges didn't exactly disagree with Cammalleri's comments.  Need I remind you that they are the assistant captains of the team.  I guess what I am trying to say is that I am through with the Montreal Canadiens after this disaster and refuse to ever attend another Canadiens game.


Enclosed, you will find my season tickets for the Canadiens games for the rest of this season, my Canadiens flag, a puck that was autographed by P.K. Subban, and several other Canadiens memorabilia.  Until your organization starts to right the wrongs done in recent years (i.e. fire Pierre Gauthier), I will refuse to ever pay another coin to see your joke of a franchise ever again.


Signed,


A Very Disgruntled Hockey Fan


P.S. I have a new favorite hockey team now.  Even though I cannot in good conscience root for the Calgary Flames (I have picked the Vancouver Canucks), I will buy a Flames jersey with Mike Cammalleri's number on the back in support of a player that gets it.  And if you want a transcript of this letter in French, go use Google Translator.

No comments:

Post a Comment