Monday, June 3, 2013

The Wonderful (and Wacky) World of Oz

Before I get to the subject of today's piece, I'd like to apologize for not putting in my preview for the NHL Conference Finals (though I did file one for a playoff pool I compete in annually).  For those interested in knowing who I picked, I have Kings in 7 and Penguins in 6.

Now, today is a book review by L. Frank Baum, who is most famous for writing the book that was made into the movie The Wizard of Oz.  The book, which is actually titled The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, would end up being the first of a 14-part series that Baum would write in his lifetime.

If you know the movie version, then you pretty much know what to expect from the book.  However, there are parts that aren't in the movie that are in the book, most notably the foursome's travel to the southern part of the magical land.  The book isn't anything truly special (read: not as engaging), but it is an easy read, so reading this book to children is something that you can do (if you have any).  Recommended more as a story to read to kids than on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment