Friday, January 7, 2011

Border War Hockey

The time after the NHL Winter Classic always seems to be a slow time, since there hasn't been much to write about, as evidenced by my inactivity the last two days.  However, as I was browsing through the paper yesterday, something caught my eye that I would not have thought of otherwise.  You see the picture and think, "Isn't this kind of thing only for football and basketball?"  The reality is that it extends to anything you want it to be.

The Kansas and Missouri rivalry dates back to the Civil War days, and despite my disdain for both schools, I found this little bit quite interesting.  I thought New Mexico having a college hockey team was odd, but now, there is in fact, a Missouri and Kansas squad.  Both teams are a part of the Mid-American Collegiate Hockey Association and features the likes of Purdue, Iowa, and Northwestern in the league.  Judging by the teams that make up the league, none of them pose much of a threat to a team like North Dakota or Maine.  Both Kansas and Missouri are slated to make their way to the Independence Events Center on the 20th of this month, and if you happen to be in the area, tickets can be purchased here.

No comments:

Post a Comment