Monday, January 31, 2011

Frankenstein

I haven't done a book review in a while, and since the book I'm currently reading is still about 150 pages or so away from finishing, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at something I read a couple of years ago...after showing little interest in reading it as part of a college class.  Yes, the book in question is Mary Shelley's Frankeinstein.  Before I get into the book, I'd like to say that reading books in the post-college years has come rather easily.  I suppose it's due to not having to deal with time constraints and trying to determine what has to be picked out for quizzes and essays, all of which likely takes me out of the running to be a teacher some day.

The novel is told through the eyes of Dr. Victor Frankenstein, who as we find, is on a ship heading north.  For what exactly, the reader will find out in the end, so read the entire thing, since I'm giving no spoilers here.  The basis of the story concerns Dr. Frankenstein and his want to recreate life in an inanimate life.  His studies take him to the point of creating a monster made from various human parts.  However, after the creature comes to life, Dr. Frankenstein becomes disillusioned with it, and abandons it.  This does not sit well with the creature, who proceeds to kill everyone Dr. Frankenstein loves until the final encounter.

One of the first true horror novels to be written, Frankenstein spares no detail when it comes to how things come together for the creature and captures Dr. Frankenstein's descent into insanity quite well.  At roughly 200 pages long, it's a relatively quick read that offers a lot in terms of the emotion and atmosphere that some of today's novels lack.

No comments:

Post a Comment