Saturday, February 18, 2012

Blue Notes

As you know, I am a fan of the Vancouver Canucks, and as of this season, adopted the Ottawa Senators as my Eastern Conference team.  Now, with the playoffs nearing, should both teams advance, I have to take the Canucks.  Having said that, I also live in Missouri, which means getting either team on television is a near impossible task.  So, what team do I get to see for almost half the season?  The St. Louis Blues, and today is their day in the spotlight.

If you've followed the Blues at all this season, you know that an Ottawa Senators castoff in Brian Elliott is a major reason why the Blues are Stanley Cup contenders this season.  You also know that a coaching change has helped in that regard, as they went from merely good to potentially a threat to the Canucks and Red Wings this year.  So, why I have I not covered the Blues as much, besides my personal affiliations?

Part of it is the stigma of being in St. Louis, MO, for which I make no secret of my disdain for the city.  The other part?  Ask a sampling of 100 hockey fans in western Missouri who their favorite team is, and the odds are that the favorable answers include the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings.  As someone who has in the past lobbied for an NHL team in Kansas City, and given that the Phoenix Coyotes are perennially being bandied about in relocation talks, the rivalry possibilities are endless with the four.

Back to the Blues, there are some very good players on the team, including T.J. Oshie, David Backes, Alex Pietrangelo, and Kevin Shattenkirk.  However, it is the role players that more than anything else, make a team, and the Blues have players such as Vladimir Sobotka and Ryan Reaves.  If I'm a Blues fan, I feel good about the future prospects of the Blues, and if I should ever think about getting a Blues jersey, I think I will consider getting a Sobotka jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment