Thursday, April 15, 2010

Peter Steele 1962-2010

In light of what happened last night, today's piece on the Jean Rollin film Living Dead Girl will be put off for at least a day. Rather, today is a day of mourning, for I had lost a piece that had gotten me through the high school years. Type O Negative front man and former Carnivore vocalist Peter Steele died last night from heart failure at the age of 48. When I read that other people were talking about it this morning, I didn't want to believe it. However, as more sources were confirming this, I found it much harder to put into words what the loss meant to me.

For all the crap that I went through in high school and part of my college life, I found comfort in Type O Negative's music. Even when I finally broke out of those doldrums, the band's music has stayed with me right up to now. I feel especially privileged to have actually seen Type O Negative live, as now, that opportunity will never happen again. Rest in peace, and know that your music will be part of your legacy as much as it was a soundtrack to my horrible years.

No comments:

Post a Comment