Thursday, August 5, 2010

Living For Metal 2004-2010 (?)


Today marks the official passing of Living For Metal webzine, although the 'zine had been done a while before that.  When it shut its doors for the last time is irrelevant, though, as in its existence, it brought a unique take on the music webzine.  It provided a set up similar to Metal Archives, in that it had a list of bands.  It also had the usual fare when it came to webzines (reviews and interviews with bands).  Staff members were among the most knowledgeable, and given that the heads of the 'zine are computer nerds (and I mean that with the utmost respect), computer knowledge was just as important as metal music knowledge.

So, what does this all have to do with me?  Well, from March of 2007 to March of 2009 (unofficially the last entry I made for the website, which was an interview with Woods of Ypres, which I posted on this blog earlier), Living For Metal was where I called home as a metal journalist.  Yes, the Metal Psalter portion began in April 2008, which would mean that the two overlapped, but it was Living For Metal that I began to really carve out a niche for myself.  Yes, Metal Coven was where it all began, but things really took off at Living For Metal.  And one could say that Living For Metal brings people together, as four of the members, including myself, had a get together at ProgPower VIII in the Fall of 2007.

In closing, Living For Metal had a good run when it existed, and I am better off for having been a part of that run.  However, it would have not been possible if someone hadn't come along and asked if I wanted to contribute to the webzine.  Best of luck to everyone who called Living For Metal their website home and may they move onward to even better things.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it gave you a nice place to start out :) I remember it, it was a nice site.

    I'd like to write for a metal zine, but I probably won't. Good luck on keeping up with everything though :)

    ReplyDelete