Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Portland: Sunday

Sunday in Portland was considered an off day, which meant getting out and exploring some of the city on my own time.  This also meant getting familiar with the city's public transit system, which isn't so bad once you do get some familiarity with it.  The day began with church, which admittedly can be a chore, but I know what I signed up for when I did pick a religion.  Inexplicably, I forgot the stop for the earlier service, and as a result, had one full hour to kill before the next one at a different place.  After that was a stop at Voodoo Doughnut (where the beer was not served, as you will find out later).  One Marshall Matters doughnut later, I walked around the downtown area and screwed around a bit with the rail system.  Nothing of true significance happened until 4 PM, when a stop at the Rogue Ales Public House was in order.  The most important order of buisness?  Trying the Bacon Maple Ale that was inspired by Voodoo Doughnut.  Verdict?  If you like the Bacon Maple Doughnut, then this beer isn't too far off in terms of taste.  A stop in at Ground Kontrol Arcade followed before heading back to base.

I suppose the biggest regret of the day was not hitting the Winterhawks game that evening.  Then again, I lost track of when the game started, as I had also lost track of the start of the Winnipeg Jets' home opener that was on television.  Time sure does fly when you don't keep track of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment