Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Portland: Tuesday

Tuesday in Portland was essentially a screw around day, since one of the people I was staying with got sick, and did his best Froggy impersonation.  So as not to get what he had, I made the decision to bus it to downtown, and hit JELD-WEN Field to check out the Timbers' team store inside.  From there, it was a brief exploration of downtown before hitting the Rails for the Rose Quarter, where the Rose Garden and Memorial Coliseum are located.  Two more treks with the Rail later, I was back downtown, first to the Happiest Place on Earth, otherwise known as 2nd Avenue Records.  Picked up a few CDs, and then went on to a Vietnamese food cart to pick up a sandwich.  It started raining, so I ducked into Bailey's Taproom for a drink.  After finishing the drink, I braved the soaker to head into a vintage clothing store and an Everyday Music store downtown before hitting Rogue Ales Public House for a Portland St. IPA.  I find out that there's a reason the servers and a few of the patrons are wearing Hawaiian shirts: wear a Hawaiian shirt on Tuesdays, get a free beer.  I know what I'm doing on Tuesday in Portland.  A quick stop into Ground Kontrol Arcade followed, as did another stop into Voodoo Doughnut for a racist doughnut before walking across the bridge to where I was supposed to be that evening: East End.  First, I decided to hit the Lovecraft Bar a couple of blocks down from the East End, and as the evening progressed, I found myself at the Lovecraft Bar longer than the East End.  Both were interrupted for a brief stop into Sizzle Pie for a pizza slice.  Pizza shops that are open late at night are great, and if you're in Kansas City, there's one in Joe's Pizza.  After the food, I decided to stop back into the Lovecraft Bar, since I figured that I had nothing to lose with a burlesque show going on there. Sure enough, it ended up being better than the show at the East End, which I likely shouldn't have dropped the money for, since the sound wasn't that good, and the ambiance was a major turnoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment