Friday, March 5, 2010

Blades

From the people who came out with releases such as Cannibal: The Musical and The Toxic Avenger comes a rather silly movie with an absolutely absurd premise. Imagine a lawnmower that mysteriously gains a mind of its own and decides to cut down people who think having sex on the golf course at night is a good idea. Well, leave it to the folks at Troma to put that idea into practice.

Stop and read the opening paragraph again for a minute. That is about all that needs to be said about the plot for Blades. It couldn't be any simpler than that, so why would I want to be talking about this movie then? Like most of the movies talked about here, I had this one force fed to me, and being that I have a fairly high tolerance for blatantly dumb movies, I figured that it wouldn't be too bad. Well, what was a bad idea on paper was actually bad in practice, although it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, and that is where the disappointment sets in for me. I was hoping that it would be completely over the top and in some ways, it is (e.g. lawnmower is on fire and jumps into the lake to put itself out, only to be running again afterwards). The murder scenes could have easily been much better, but given that it's hard to do so for a lawnmower when it is severely limited, I can understand. Really though, all logic should be thrown out the window with Blades because when an idea is stupid on paper, you shouldn't expect anything remotely intellectual to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment