Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Headlocks and Takedowns (Yes, another wrestling piece)


Last night was a time to rest from the last seven days of metal, so in an effort to try and catch up on movies, I attempted to watch Dario Argento's Cat O'Nine Tails.  Unfortunately, I think this will be a test to see if I can make it through, since the movie runs slower than I would like.  After about 30 minutes or so, I scrapped it, for now, in favor of some WWE and the Hell in a Cell compilation.  In case you don't know what Hell in a Cell is, here is a sample of what has happened in such a match:




The matches I saw last night were on disc two, and the ones I managed to get through were HHH vs. Chris Jericho from 2002 and Undertaker (when he was in his biker phase) vs. Brock Lesnar, which was also from 2002.  And in case you're asking, people really do get hurt in these kinds of matches.  I know what you're thinking, and yes, it is scripted.  However, one wrong move, and the line between real and fake gets dangerously blurred.

The concept, in recent years, has been watered down with the WWE deciding to name its PPVs after matches such as this and having more matches with an alarming frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment