Friday, July 9, 2010

The Holy Grail of Metal

You may not agree with me about today's title of the piece, but this is my writing, so roll with it.  When it comes to metal music and seeing it live and in person, there are three very specific instances that I can point to and say, "I have reached the Holy Grail."  The three?  Seeing Agalloch last year on Halloween weekend in Portland, getting to see Iron Maiden for the first time last month in Albuquerque, NM, and seeing Sonata Arctica three years ago in Atlanta, GA as part of ProgPower VIII.  The last of the three is the subject of today's piece, and what better way to tie in the live theme than with the For the Sake of Revenge CD/DVD combo that was released in 2006.

I don't make it a secret that Sonata Arctica is one of my favorite bands, so it should be no surprise that I would throw lots of praise for the DVD.  Filmed in Tokyo, Japan as part of the Reckoning Night tour in 2005, Sonata Arctica plays up to the cameras with their trademark humor and the crowd is into it, even participating in a sing-along directed by vocalist Tony Kakko.  There is never a dull moment with Sonata Arctica live, but the picks of the litter include Kakko's intro to "Sing in Silence," "Fullmoon," and the set closing "Vodka," which is sung in the style of "Hava Nagila."

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the band twice, and even going as far as to have interviewed them in person.  And let me tell you, before the interview was when I was at my most nervous.  They always say that waiting is the hardest thing to do, and in that instance, those people would be right.  Those same people who say Sonata Arctica put on a great show would also be correct, and For the Sake of Revenge is proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment